I’m now 90% convinced pull-back weeks in marathon training are necessary. The other 10% will come if I can successfully complete 16 miles on Friday. My confidence in the pull-back week comes from the fact that my past three runs have been some of my fastest yet. Here’s the recap:
Friday, 5 miles: 9:20 pace
Sunday, 6 miles: 9:02 pace
And as for Tuesday’s 6 mile tempo, I averaged 8:34 for the 4 tempo miles -
Mile 1: warm-up
Mile 2: 8:35
Mile 3: 8:30
Mile 4: 8:36
Mile 5: 8:35
Mile 6: cool-down
Other than an 8k I did last spring where I paced 8:25, I haven’t run that fast for 4 miles straight…ever. Hence my newfound love for the pull-back week :) Clearly my legs needed some time to recover after 14 miles. Now that I’ve gotten my speedwork in for the week, and I haven’t had a long run in over 10 days, I’m itching for a long and relaxing 16 miles on Friday. Now I just need to come up with a game plan on how to fuel for this one!
For 14, I simply took in 2 gels since that’s what’s always worked for me for my halfs – although I remember wishing I had some sort of electrolyte replacement (which is probably completely mental, but isn’t almost everything about running??). Right now I am planning on bringing 3 gels and two Nuun tablets to try in my water. I’ve never tried these before, but I’ve read about them in a few different places and the guy at the running store raved about them (selling through enthusiasm gets me every time). Nuun tablets are simply an electrolyte replacement (as opposed to a sports drink like Gatorade which has sugar/carbs). They dissolve easily in water, which is perfect for my run on Friday since I’ll be carrying my water bottle and have access to fountains every few miles. If these work, they might even be my solution for race day. According to the website, one Nuun tablet has:
|active ingredients||level (mg)|
Pretty good stats! It’s hard to believe I’m at 16 miles already. I have no time goal in mind for this run. If I feel strong during my last few miles, I’ll be happy.
Now onto some eats :) When I was in Philly today, I made a quick stop at the Schuylkill River farmers’ market. I didn’t have my camera on me, but you can see a recap of that market here. Due to limited cash funds on me, I couldn’t go crazy buying everything I saw (probably a good thing!), so I kept it simple and bought some berries and fresh figs (!!)
I believe the first time I was introduced to fresh figs was at a restaurant out in California’s wine country. I fell in love instantly. I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long to try them in a recipe on my own! Aren’t they gorgeous?
I decided to roast another acorn squash and create a “lazy girl’s fig and squash pizza.” After realizing I had about 10 minutes to cook before heading to class, I threw a handful of spinach, a few slices of roasted squash and two spoonfuls of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese onto a whole wheat wrap and baked it in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes.
And then I topped it with sliced fresh figs. This pizza had only five ingredients and was delicious. The salty cheese complimented the sweet squash and figs perfectly. Now I just need to figure out how to incorporate the leftover figs into my breakfast!